A photographic exploration of people and place with Dave Brosha and Paul Zizka.
If you love adventure photography, the idea of the human element in a grand landscape/astro scene, or are looking for a vast, cinematic environmental feel to your portraiture or wedding images, this is the workshop for you!
Held in and around Banff National Park in some of the most stunning scenery Canada has to offer – with two photographer’s noted for their work that creatively mixes people and place – this workshop will challenge you to think large (dare we say “epic”). We will be lining up amazing models that will include fashion, wedding, adventurers (think climbers and mountaineers), yoga instructors, and more. It’s a portrait workshop for those with a landscape soul….but not at all about the close-up. Rather, it will be about marrying the two elements, people and place, for breath-taking imagery.
PORTRAITS IN HIGH PLACES – AT A GLANCE
Banff National Park ⋅ the human element ⋅ stunning backdrops ⋅ jaw-dropping locations ⋅ varied roster of models ⋅ editing ⋅ natural light ⋅ off-camera flash ⋅ astrophotography
YOUR OFFBEAT INSTRUCTORS
DAVE BROSHA // LEADER
Holding a passion for the world and an eye for the beauty it contains, Long Creek, Prince Edward Island based, award-winning commercial, personal, and adventure photographer Dave Brosha is on a continual journey to seek out and capture the beauty of this world – whether it’s the beauty of some of the most extreme and pristine environments in the world, or the beauty of some of a person’s most personal moments. In addition to living throughout northern Canada for much of his life, Dave – along with his beautiful wife, Erin, and three children – have also lived in Asia and have traveled extensively through both the many provinces and territories of their native country and numerous countries abroad.
PAUL ZIZKA // LEADER
Specializing in photographing in difficult conditions and hard-to-reach places, Paul has a passion for shooting alpine sports and backcountry experiences, capturing the spirit of adventurers and finding unusual angles of common mountain subjects. As a landscape photographer, he particularly enjoys the challenge of capturing nature’s beauty at night and the unique features that come with a dark sky – stars, Northern Lights and dramatic silhouettes. Paul’s award-winning photos have been featured in a variety of publications, including National Geographic, Maclean’s, Alpinist, Huffington Post, The Guardian, Islands, and Climbing magazine.
WAYNE SIMPSON // ASSISTANT
Wayne Simpson is a professional photographer based in Elora, Ontario, specializing in dramatic portraiture and landscape photography. Wayne’s portraiture is quickly gaining international attention for its unique style and the emotion it evokes. He actively seeks out many of his subjects and builds a rapport with them before a portrait is created. The style of Wayne’s fine art portraiture also carries into his commercial work, making it unique to the industry. Wayne’s passion for communicating Mother Nature’s artistry is readily apparent in his photographic style and approach to capturing landscapes. His award-winning landscape work has been featured in countless publications worldwide.
Subject to change. These are the high-points only; full itinerary to be provided to participants.
Thursday, June 1
- 2:00PM to 4:30PM – Group to meet at Juniper Hotel for 2PM start. Talks + introductions + slideshow + inspiration.
- 4:30PM to 6:00pm – Dinner + Prep for Field Session
- 6:00PM to 10:00PM – Photoshoot #1. Location TBD.
Friday, June 2nd
- 3:45AM to 4:00AM – Group meets at the Shell Gas Station
- 4:00AM Sharp – Group departs for Icefields Parkway
- 5:00AM to 8:00AM – Photoshoot #2: Bow Lake.
- 8:30AM to 11AM: Photoshoot #3: Peyto Lake.
- 11:00AM to 6:00PM: BREAK/OPEN TIME (nap/rest time to prepare for Evening/Astro session)
- 6:30PM to 9:30PM: Shoot #5: Sunset shoot, Two Jack Lake
- 10:00PM-1AM: Night/astro photoshoot -Two Jack Lake and/or Lake Minnewanka
Saturday, June 3rd
- 10:00AM-12:30PM – Shoot #5: Secret Location
- 12:30-1:30PM – lunch break
- 1:30PM-4:00PM – Editing session + group critique
- 4:00PM-5:00PM – Dinner
- 5:00-6:30 – Travel time.
- 6:30PM-9:30PM – Evening sunset photoshoot #6 -Moraine Lake
Sunday, June 4th
- 5:00AM-8:00AM- Shoot #7: Location TBD (near Banff)
- 9:00AM-11AM: Group breakfast
- 11:00AM-12:30: Finale group Q+A
NOTE: The itinerary can and will change based on weather conditions, among other factors. Participants are expected to be flexible to the group’s needs.
INS AND OUTS
- One-on-one and group photography instruction from Dave Brosha and Paul Zizka (and assistant Wayne Simpson)
What’s Not Included:
- Transportation to Banff.
- Accommodations (Our group sessions take place at the Juniper Hotel. We recommend participants stay there (we will provide a promo code for booking, although it is entirely your choice!)
- Transportation in and around Banff (carpooling is strongly encouraged).
Please visit our FAQs for more information on What to Bring, our Physical Ratings and Photography Levels.
IS THIS WORKSHOP FOR YOU?
Physical Rating (Easy): Most locations will be readily accessible form the road, although we may hike short distances on occasion. // Photography Level (All): This workshop is open to both amateur and professional photographers.
See these ratings described in our FAQs.
It is not only advised but required that participants have trip cancellation insurance, including medical/illness insurance and rescue coverage (proof required within 4 months of departure). By purchasing a spot you are acknowledging that you accept these conditions.